Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Life is like a movie

I was thinking earlier; as I do quite often, and I decided I would share my thoughts with you.

My thoughts was about relationships. Not romantic relationships but rather everyday contact with people. And I came to this one conclusion.

LIFE IS LIKE A MOVIE.

Why would I say such a thing?

When I watch a movie (or tv show) I feel a personal connection with the characters. The moment I take the time to watch the movie I become emotionally involved with the storyline for that time period (and sometimes even longer). A good movie or show is supposed to do this, otherwise no one would want to watch it.

When you watch something you become the main character. I don't mean you dress like him/her (or maybe you do) but you feel attached to that person. When he/she goes through some kind of trial you go through it with them.

The supporting characters become your friends, even if they are fictional. They are important to the main character so they, therefore, become important to you. You are sad when one of them dies. You are happy when they overcome conflict. You grow to love them.

You hate the villains. You wish they could just stay away from the main character so that he/she can finally go on with their life.

But what about the extras.

Those people who are nameless and unimportant. Without them the picture doesn't look right, but you don't care who they are, what their job is, why they are where they are. They are just supposed to be there.

Life is like that.

There are some people I put in my "friend"circle, some I put in my "enemy" circle, and some I put in my "unimportant" circle.

The supporting characters.

The villains.

The extras

If the main character's friend, I'll just call him Jimmy, comes in and says Tom's car was stolen, he couldn't care less. He doesn't  know  who Tom is, he probably never even met him. If it was up to him, Tom didn't even exist.
But if Jimmy came to the main character and said the character's sister, Selena, just phoned him and said she couldn't find her car, the main character would be very concerned.

Everyone is so caught up in their own existence that they never give a second thought to the person they see standing in front of them at the check out counter, or the guy who just passed them in his car on the highway.
All they think about whenever they do something is, what will this do for me? And, what effect will this have on the people close to me? They don't care what happens to the people who are unimportant to them, because to them they are just that. Unimportant.

But something I've observed in many tv shows is that you might see an 'extra' character and think, "why was he just there" and then a few seasons later you couldn't imagine the story without him. Like Rory from Doctor Who. At the beginning of series five I couldn't care less for him, but at the end of his time in the series you couldn't imagine the show without him.

So I guess my final words for you today is, "Remember, that the person you might think is unimportant today might be your best friends tomorrow."

~DFTBA

1 comment:

  1. Very well put. I sometimes do that, when people come into work, I will watch them and try and guess their stories. Even though I don't know them, they are important to someone, and someone somewhere cannot imagine life without them.

    (You used Rory as an example. That made me grin. I love Rory.)

    ReplyDelete